Volunteer Positions Available
Periodically, we require volunteers for facility upgrades. If you have any specific skills or would just like to lend a hand in future projects, please let us know and we can add you to our email list.
Summer Camp Nurse
» Show Details
Wannakumbac requires a nurse/medical professional to be on site during each week of camp. Although our preference is to have one nurse be with us for a full week (camp starts on Wednesday and ends the following Tuesday), if you wish to volunteer as a camp nurse but are unable to commit to a full camp week please inquire and we will do our best to accommodate. Income tax receipts would be issued for time spent at camp, or a small honorarium is offered for a complete week of medical coverage.
We require our nurse to be on site 24/7. However, arrangements can be made for short excursions during the day, such as going for a canoe on the lake or a trip into Wasagaming.
- Review camper health form during registration
- Establishing health needs during registration
- Work closely with other staff members to promote good health and provide health care when required.
- Ensures that Evergreen Cabin (nurse’s residence) is kept clean and stocked with appropriate supplies and medications.
- Keeps clear, accurate and concise records on all campers and staff.
- Keeps a daily medical log and maintains and documents the camper/staff chart.
- Dispenses and keeps a record of daily medications administered.
- Keeps track of patients requiring follow-up visits for medical care.
- Makes sure that medications brought to camp are kept secure.
- Provides first aid kits for campout and cookout trips (Friday and Saturday nights) and restocks them after each trip.
- Supply Epi-Pens and camper medication to the appropriate counsellor before departure on campout/cookout.
- Care for sick campers who require a stay in the infirmary.
- Make decisions about camper injuries and illness severity (in case a trip to the hospital is necessary).
- Review cabins for daily “Clean Cabin Award”.
Approximate Daily Schedule:
– 8:45am – Breakfast / Medications
– 9:45am – Check cabin cleanliness during morning activities
– 12:30pm – Lunch / Medications / Clean Cabin Award
– 1:30pm – Prepare medications and first aid kits for campout/cookout
– 3:15pm – Review medication administration with counsellors leaving on campout
– 5:45pm – Dinner / Medications
– 10:30pm – Bedtime Medications
» Hide Details